From The Archives: Welcome To Nollywood

Written By: Mimi TsianeThis weekend, I watched my first Nollywood film; well in its entirety. The DVD was simply entitled “Royal Battle: Part 1 and 2." The DVD was not an original (uhm, how do I say it delicately...) it was bootleg. I purchased my copy from the hair salon/clothing boutique/grocery store/beauty supply and social networking establishment. I also picked up some oranges with my purchase! I tell you, my African people are doing big things. I am in love with the industry that is Nollywood; here are some of the elements that I have observed.

1. Love story: Boy and girl meet, fall in love and live happily ever after, then a plague befalls the town, he dies and haunts the living hell out her. That is a love story.

2. Supernatural phenomena: Witches, random lightening on bright days, plagues, kings in FUBU outfits, ghosts, plastic hair weaves, and extraordinary circumstances.

3. Beautiful scenery: Although many are set in Nigeria and surrounding African countries (I am from Botswana); I cannot help but feel nostalgic when I see some of the landscape.
Read more »
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...